Wednesday, June 27, 2012

Sauteed Cauliflower with Golden Raisins and Almonds

Good day, faithful ninjas!  I hope everyone is having a wonderful summer.  It's hard to believe that I haven't seen you all since my last post in February!  Despite my slacker-ness with new posts, I have been a very busy and productive little ninja.  I have several new recipes to post, I've moved into a lovely (and HUGE!) new home with the boy-ninja love of my life (and Lucy and Skye of course!) and we are happily going about setting up our new place together.  I finally have a nice, big oven to cook in, and my kitchen is still small, but much larger than the last one!  Ooooh....and a GAS stove.  Joy!  As you can see, the blog has a new look, and I think it's high time to post some back-recipes that I've been procrastinating with and get cracking on some new ones.  Sorry for the long wait!


Sauteed Cauliflower with Golden Raisins and Almonds

 A nice, simple recipe using fresh and easy-to-find ingredients.  Don't substitute frozen cauliflower for fresh or you'll miss out on the toasty crispness of the cauliflower and almonds playing off the sweetness of the raisins and the brightness of the parsley and lemon.  Serve as a side-dish with grilled or baked tofu, or make it a full meal served over brown rice, couscous, or quinoa.  If you're concerned about not having enough protein from the almonds alone, toss a drained and rinsed can of beans in when you add the almonds.


Ingredients:

2 Tablespoons non-dairy butter or extra virgin olive oil
1 onion, diced
1 head cauliflower, cut into bite-sized pieces
1/4 cup sliced almonds
1/4 cup golden raisins
1/4 teaspoon ground coriander
1/4 teaspoon salt
freshly ground black pepper to taste
1 Tablespoon fresh lemon juice
1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
Lemon wedges, for serving

Heat the butter/oil in a wok or very large skillet over medium-high heat.  Add the chopped onion and cook until translucent, about 3 minutes.  Add the cauliflower and cook, stirring frequently, until golden and crisp-tender, about 10 minutes.  Add the almonds, raisins, coriander, salt, and pepper.  Cook until the almonds are slightly toasted, about 5 minutes.  Remove mixture from heat and stir in the lemon juice and parsley.  Serve with lemon wedges.

More recipes to come soon - maybe even today - as I try to work through this backlog of my cooking successes in the last 6 months.  Feedback on the new blog layout as well as recipes welcomed, as always.  See you soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment