Saturday, February 16, 2013

Easy Spiced Roasted Carrots

Happy Saturday, ninjas!  I know I haven't been blogging much as of late, but things have been very stressful in my life for some personal reasons.  Even my usual "heal what ills you with food" approach to all things negative hasn't been very successful lately.  But yet, this ninja soldiers on.   I came up with this recipe a few nights ago when I needed a yummy side dish to fill out a Middle Eastern meal of falafel (made from a box mix) in whole wheat pitas topped with fresh veggies and the "Dill Tahini Sauce" from Veganomicon (this cookbook is a must-have for any vegan.  If you do not yet own it, please purchase it HERE).  The carrots were a perfect, slightly-spicy accompaniment to simple yet delicious Middle Eastern fare.  This recipe makes two big servings, but if you're serving a crowd, feel free to double, triple...whatever.  No matter how much or how little you make, this recipe is so easy that it will turn out great every time.

Easy Spiced Roasted Carrots
Makes two big servings



Ingredients:
2 cups carrots, peeled and sliced 1/2" thick
1 small onion, sliced into thin half moons
1/2" square fresh ginger, peeled and minced
1 Tablespoon olive oil
2 teaspoons packed brown sugar
1/4 teaspoon coriander
pinch cayenne
1/2 teaspoon salt
juice of 1/2 a lemon (about 1 1/2 Tablespoons)
1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley   

Pre-heat your oven to 400 degrees F.
Place the carrots, onion, and ginger in an oven-safe baking dish.  Drizzle with the olive oil and mix well to coat.  Add the brown sugar, coriander, cayenne and salt.  Toss everything together until evenly coated with oil and spices. Roast in the pre-heated oven for 35 minutes, checking once after about 15 minutes to stir everything around to ensure even cooking.  The carrots should be soft, but not mushy.
Remove the dish from the oven.  Add lemon juice and parsley.  The lemon juice will sizzle a bit in the hot pan and the parsley will wilt slightly.  Serve warm or room temperature.

Tips and Tricks:

1. The easiest way to peel fresh ginger is to scrape at the skin with the side of a spoon while running it under cool water.

2. Cold leftovers make a delicious filling for a pita!


Well, that's it for the food stuff today, but I do have one more thing to mention that is not specifically vegan-related.  As an owner of a small internet business myself, I'm always up for supporting someone else who is trying to get their own product off the ground.  I was recently contacted by the makers of this weird piece of clothing called Hoorag and asked if I would write a review on my blog if they sent me one.  So send me one they did, and even though it really has nothing to do with veganism, I thought some other people out there who were outdoors-y folks or runners might be interested.  As a runner, and as someone who occasionally has a head full of bulky dreadlock extensions, I personally love it.  It keeps my face warm like a ninja mask when I'm running in the cold, and it's pretty awesome at keeping unruly dreads contained while I'm trying to complete a workout or clean my house or whathaveyou.  So if you're a hiker, runner, or just have some big ol' hair, go check them out.  They have lots of cool prints to choose from (mine has sunflowers) and they make warm ones for winter and even ones for doggies.  Here's some pics of me in mine before going out for a frigid run in the cold:

Ready to run without feeling like I'm being stabbed in the lungs by cold winter air.  Yay!

Well, after that little endorsement, I must bid you all adieu.  More recipes soon.  Much love....

Love,

The Fur Ninja <3



No comments:

Post a Comment